Lens Suggestions for Newbie with a Panasonic GH4

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,602
Like?
Re: Lens Suggestions for Newbie with a Panasonic GH4
In reply to scottyd5, 4 months ago

scottyd5 wrote:

Posted this in the Beginners Questions forum, but would also like some opinions from you guys.
--

I mainly shoot concerts and other live events for IMAG (image magnification) where it's displayed on video boards. I would also be using it to record various events in a "run n gun" atmosphere. Most of the gear I have experience shooting on is pro-sumer type video cameras such as Panasonic AG-HMC80 with fixed lenses. I want to learn about lenses and such so I thought getting a DSLR/M would help me do this and also give me a chance to produce better quality footage.

I've been reading about the Panasonic GH4 and I'm really impressed with it. I went ahead and pre-ordered it, but now I need to decide on lenses. I'm guessing 2 lenses would be a good start. 1 being a close, mid range lens and another being a telephoto. Budget wise I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on each. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? Thanks!

Personally I think your going about this the wrong way, your looking at getting a very expensive body and leaving yourself very little capital for the lenses.

Sure the GH4 is very nice, but your not doing yourself any flavors budgeting so low for the glass.

Two lenses that will be just perfect for your type of shooting will be the Pany 12-35mm or Olympus 12-40mm along with a 35-100mm, and then possibly later, add two or three nice primes.

I think you will be better off looking at the Panasonic G6 or Olympus EM10 leaving you with enough change to add one decent zoom and a prime or two to get you started.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow