Like?
Re: Panasonic and the electronic shutter
In reply to Lab D, 5 months ago

Lab D wrote:

David Hull wrote:

Lab D wrote:

David Hull wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

So at least we have proven one thing. You are no eyeinstyne.
--
Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

When you learn to spell, you might figure out that one doesn't need to be Einstein to figure out that digital photography will only become more digital.

I think a better way to say it is that we can expect the mechanical stuff more and more be replaced by electronic equivelents -- where it makes sense. I think the devil is in the details when it comes to the "where it makes sense part". Right now, I suspect that the mechanical solution is still cheaper (particularly for the manufacturers that traditionally have built them that way). I think that it is a nobrainier to make the long term prediction that the flip up mirror will someday be a thing of the past but the question is when. It seems that there are issues of. cost, performance and perception that need to be addressed in the meantime.

-- hide signature --

Right now Panasonic is the closest to putting an end to the mirror. Their goal is the electronic shutter which has no moving parts, and many of their cameras offer it now. It has one issue though and that is it takes almost 1/10th of second to read the sensor which can cause a "rolling shutter" look. The new GH4 is much faster and should come close to eliminating this, and the future goal is a global shutter which doesn't read line by line from the sensor but rather reads the whole sensor at one time.

As I said the electronic shutter has no moving parts and so is more reliable and should last much longer. It is silent which means no more distractions in quiet environments. It means 20 to 50 (and above) frames per second shooting, which allows you nail those action shots of a soccer ball being compressed by a kick, or a boxer punch hitting a face, etc. It means you have “Active” shooting where a camera can be taking 20 frames per second BEFORE you press the shutter so any surprises will still be caught. And much more that will revolutionize photography.

That is a good point. I had not thought of the electronic shutter aspect. I think that there are P&S's that work that way, certainly the iPhone does.

-- hide signature --

The new Galaxy phone uses 2 cameras to create a 3D view that can judge distance to subjects in the frame. It can focus like PDAF and blur objects outside the focal plane with varying degrees depending on the distance from the focal plane.
Oh, and it shoots 4K video which is 8MP files 24-30 times a second.

So that's how they do that -- I watched their promo video and wondered how they did the DOF thing.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow