HVL-F60M on A7

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,745Gear list
Like?
No flashes AF assist light works with mirrorless cameras period.
In reply to drjs, 9 months ago

That is true with all mirrorless cameras. and the flashes.   Across brands.   Olympus, Fuji, they all have the same issue across brands and always have.   Basically their TTL flashes are designed only to work with normal phase autofocus detect method through mirror like on DSLRs.  When using with a DSLR, the autoassist light works because DSLR use Phase Autofocusing.    The auto assist light does not work with any camera using contrast focus method focusing.  100% on that.   I've tried numerous other flashes from other brands and the result is always the same

The only two questions I had unanswered were

1)  PDAF on sensor, will that trigger the AF Assist light on flashes designed for DSLR.  My guess would be either NO, or maybe Yes in Daytime shooting when PDAF focus points actually work.  They turn off in low light as we all know as a limitation of every PDAF on sensor in every mirrorless camera from all manufacturers, and it is back to contrast method so no flash af assist light would work.

2) what about using LA-EA4 with Sony A lenses?  Logic tells me that in this scenario, AF Assist light on flashes such as 60AM or 60M SHOULD WORK, because the  A7/r then starts being like any other A big camera with its normal phase af method.

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow