Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cchen2
Contributing MemberPosts: 838Gear list
Like?
Complaining to Sony about lack of firmware support
9 months ago

Hi folks, I just posted this in another thread, but I figured it might be worth starting another thread about this. I wrote a post on the Cybershot forum on Sony's website and someone from Sony commented on it.  Perhaps if many Sony owners complained on the manufacturers website about the lack of firmware upgrades in a public way, there would be some firmware updates, at least for the higher level Cybershots like the RX1, RX10 and RX100's.  Would love to have some other people post to their forum to keep this topic on their radar.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Cybershot-Cameras/The-Sony-Camera-division-is-in-danger/m-p/291816#U291816

This is the text that I wrote:

I'm writing this note in hopes that someone in the Sony consumer electronics department, specifically their camera department, reads this in time to turn the tide of user unrest and anger.

I am an owner of a NEXC3 and a newly purchased RX10 and while I am generally pleased with the cameras, it is my opinion and the opinion of many other posters at DPreview.com, which is probably the most trafficked Sony forum online these days, that Sony is making a grave mistake in doing things like not updating firmware, shipping cameras with minimal documentation or manuals and not responding to loyal customer's requests for updates. Many other camera companies in this competitive market are working with their customers to improve their products after they are shipped out. This allows customers to feel like that they are getting the support they deserve and won't be left out to dry and make customers more willing to stick with that company in the future.

When someone pays $2800 for a camera, i.e. the RX1, they are obviously paying for a premium product. With a premium price, people expect premium service. For example, the treatment at Lexus dealerships is different from Toyota dealerships, even though many cars are related to each other. There have been multiple users who have been long time supporters of Sony who are fed up with being ignored and sloppy choices like poor documentation and a perceived lack of support from Sony. Recently there is a growing trend in people who own Sony products saying that they will no longer purchase a Sony product ever again.

If I were a Sony executive or marketing person, this would be extremely disturbing to me, because there is only a small section of the population of camera users who are willing to pay a premium price for what amounts to a hobby. There are more and more high quality cameras out there and if people can look to Fuji to fully support their excellent cameras and they are researching Sony cameras and seeing Sony users complaining about their products, they will probably go with Fuji despite the excellent cameras that Sony is putting out.

I have nothing to gain from writing to note, but I'm hoping that someone takes it seriously. Products can only get you so far, a lot of what makes us customers willing to open our wallets is knowing that we are ok buying into a system.

best of luck turning the tide,
Mike

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow