Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 3,108Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?
In reply to Ramius, 9 months ago

Ramius wrote:

Then I guess you´re gonna have to question me everything you can. This camera is aimed at professional photographers because of its specifications.

Its specifications and price put it firmly in the entry-level FF like D600/6D. We know for certain that the features are inferior to the A99 and D800 etc, which aren't even in the top-of-the-line league of performers like 1DX and D4S. Your misconception is the problem, not Sony's first attempt at a mirrorless FF camera. Maybe the 'pro' mirrorless FF will come out in a year or two when the technology is mature. But as it stands, this sits in the entry-level category - just look at the price to see who Sony sees as its natural competitors.

Its the best camera Sony makes, and its high visual quality and customization options is what caters to those who do photography for a living. Thats what makes it a professional grade camera. And the price reflects it too. What amateur is spending this kind of money on cameras?

It's not the best camera Sony makes, it's the first camera Sony has attempted in the MILC FF segment. And this amateur spent as much money on this camera as amateurs 5 years ago spent on APS-C DSLRs which were similar in price give or take inflation. There are amateurs buying cameras like OMDs and GH3/4s and X-T1s and 6Ds and D610s which are all in a similar price league. Professionals actually typically look at the system, not a single body, when making buying decisions. How you managed, as a 'pro', to buy into a system without actually looking at the system first strikes me as blunderingly naive or inexperienced.

Why would amateurs possibly need full format? Why would they need such high capacity camera, when they will never have to use it to the fullest extent? Infact, many have argued in this very thread that one of the sales point of the camera is to use legacy lenses. And who else have alot of legacy lenses but professional photographers?

I am an amateur. I do it because I can. I bought all my legacy lenses because I enjoy using them - they stopped making most of them when I was still a kid. So?

The no compromised build of this camera is what makes it a professional grade camera. The cameras professional photographers use are what makes them professional grade. And its usually cameras like Nikon D800, Canon 1d, 5D mark 3, and now A7 is slowly taking its rightful place among this lineup.

It is compromised a lot. For one, it's not very well weather sealed. For another, it's not got a foolproof AF. For another, it's a first attempt (and a darn good one but a first attempt nonetheless). How long have you been a 'professional'? What was your previous system and how could it not have occurred to you to think about what your professional needs were when buying the camera? And how on earth did a 'pro' think a superzoom lens from a third party maker would in any way be suitable for pro work?  And why the obsession about costs if you're a professional?  Most pros I know would earn back the 24-70 in two or three gigs which is nothing if they're any good.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow