Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,854Gear list
Like?
Re: With the latest firmware...
In reply to Louis_Dobson, 7 months ago

Louis_Dobson wrote:

David Kieltyka wrote:

...the E-M5 now has optional smaller focus rectangles. Note that even with older firmware you can shrink the focus point size by activating the manual focus rectangle (works even in AF mode) and setting it to 14x.

-Dave-

Thanks folks - no I have not upgraded the firmware, I'm a computer person in another life, so I don't risk bricking things for no reason, and as at now I've seen nothing in the FW upgrades that I want.
I set the camera to 14x by instinct as soon as I pick it up. I leave it set there anyway, but I like to be sure!
14x is just not enough. Would more recent firmware let me take it in tighter?

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

There are two systems for setting AF points on the EM5

1) A 5x7 grid - see page 44 of the pdf manual. With the old firmware, you could set the AF area to one square, 3x3 or the entire 5x7. The new firmware lets you choose a point smaller than one square. Access the grid, push info, set size of AF target with arrows.

2) The zoom frame - see page 45 of the pdf manual. This lets you set the AF target to sizes from 5x to 14x. The new firmware didn't change this.

I believe the new AF point is smaller than the 14x from the zoom frame.

If I missed something, no doubt someone will correct me.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Why?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow