The 'discriminatory-nature' of capture-date stipulations!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
merops
Contributing MemberPosts: 929
Like?
Re: The 'discriminatory-nature' of capture-date stipulations!
In reply to xml6000, 5 months ago

xml6000 wrote:

Statistically-speaking, capture-date stipulations reduce the talent-gene-pool of submission entries.

Hi xml6000,

Welcome to the Challenges Forum.

About the only thing that everyone would agree on is that there is huge diversity in opinions about the Challenges

For myself, I believe that - given the nature of the DPR 'community' - one of their primary roles is to offer an opportunity to many people to take part and get some feedback on their photography, and perhaps even get a little pleasure from doing well. One of the ways in which this s fostered is by the diversity of challenges - in terms of their subjects and rules. There's something for (almost) everyone, and the flip side of rules that exclude some entries or entrants, is that these same rules 'protect' space for other entries or entrants. I would therefore argue that the diversity of rules increases (rather than reduces) the 'talent-gene-pool' of submission entries (in the same way that environmental diversity protects species and genetic diversity, since you raise the 'gene pool' metaphor).

I recently voted an entry very highly that subsequently won its Challenge, so I was interested to see what other people thought of the photo. One of the comments pointed out that the same photo had already won challenges before (in August 2013 and September 2013). In the last month or so, I have also come across two photos that had been entered previously in challenges (within the previous few weeks) contrary to the rules of the second Challenge. I did not set out to find such entries - I simply remembered them (and could even relocate them). I vote on perhaps less than 10% of challenges, so who knows how much re-entry goes on (not all of which will be against challenge rules). Re-entry rules are difficult to police compared to date of capture rules (I know that EXIF data can be manipulated, but there are also people on here that seem to know how to detect it). Capture date rules are one of the means to keep diversity high.

Rejoice in the diversity of Challenges, and keep you pizza dough photo for another Challenge which doesn't have an entry date restriction.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow