Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,801Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r
In reply to Horshack, 6 months ago

It's just his personal view.

I'd pickup A7 if the difference is just in MP amount but A7R is better in other aspects regarding IQ - SNR, sharpness and high ISO. Thom's opinion doesn't reflect one important factor to owners of Canon lenses like me that you can use some best Canon lenses, and actual the best among entire FF market such as Canon TS-E lenses, 24-70L/2.8 II, 70-200L/2.8 IS II and some L primes, that something doesn't apply to Thom but a critical factor to many Canon owners, no mention A7R/A7 is much lighter/smaller than his D800E/D800 or my 5D3 that becomes a more and more bigger deal when I am getting older.

I picked up A7R to complement to my 5D3 but not replacement and they can share the same set of EF lenses that something Thom doesn't understand well. I also experienced shutter shock with 70-200L/4.0 IS hand-held for example that is my only major complaint. However in my usage such as in my recent central EU trip, I used A7R only in two time periods - good light that I can hand-held that shutter usually above 1/200 sec with FE 35 or 24-70L II thru adapter or in evening on tripod that shutter usually below 1/6 sec where shutter shock is not an issue. In the trip I used 24-70L II lots on A7R and the IQ from that combo is simply fantastic. I also used 17mm TS-E but unfortunately I just found my copy suddenly developed severe decenter issue on 5D3 or A7R (guess got damaged by somehow in my last Africa trip that I carried the lens but virtually didn't use it). I found it's actually easier to use MF lenses such as 17mm TS-E on A7R than on 5D3 due to EVF.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55485085@N04/sets/72157642018613634/

Only processed a few in hotels there and I just returned last night.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow