Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
pgb
pgb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,220Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?
In reply to Mel Snyder, 7 months ago

Mel Snyder wrote:

pgb wrote:

Mel Snyder wrote:

Ramius wrote:

JurijTurnsek wrote:

A large user base of APS-C cameras on one side and an emerging user base for FF cameras. How do you please both at the same time? You can't expect Sony to dish out new lenses so fast, because Sony is after quality.

Sony posted the roadmap and you all knew what you bought into. Now deal with it. You can either be happy with what you got or bitch about what you knew was not coming anyway.

That roadmap turned out to be false. It told us that the 24-70mm would launch with the camera. So did the press release about the cameras, which told us it would launch with three prime lenses. Instead, only the 35mm was available at launch. Along with the kit lens. The 55mm came later. The 24-70mm didnt even come that year.

But remember that this roadmap is only for their own lenses. Im making this thread about the whole FE range. Where other manufacturers should be offering lenses too. If you look at other sides of the consumer electronics business - Sony does not launch a new Playstation without communicating with third party studios and letting them start working on games before release. I wish they would have done so with this camera and and lenses as well.

Which A7/r do you own?

There are thousands of lenses for both the A7 and the A7r, and those of us who actually own the cameras have had NO lens-imposed limits to their use. I shot all weekend with lenses from 17mm to 90mm under a wide range of conditions, and I never missed any opportunity for lack of a lens.

Not to mention Canon lenses many of which AF and IS. When you think about it these cameras have
a massive lens base and they have only just been released. Throw in the best sensor available and
a fair price ... I certainly hope Sigma join in. Their one of the more exciting offerings since the
5D2 and making high quality optics to keep up with these sensors takes time and money.

It took Canon many years to build their lens base. Go Sony, thanks for waking me up.

-- hide signature --

In the beginning was the rhythm but I had forgotten and was waiting for the beat.

Perfect post. A few FE lenses and an exceptional sensor - now, if they just had a leader and board of directors with the charisma and testicles of a Steve Jobs. You see cameras like the A6000 and A7/r, and you know that if Sony had a Jobs, the ball game for Nikon and Canon would be over.

Yep, Steve would be slipping an iphone into it, the A6000 looks like another game changer.

I can't believe my luck at having re-discovered Sony with the NEX-6.

I've been working with Sony broadcast gear since they got into it. They have been in electronic
imaging far longer than Nikcan, albeit the then low res TV business.

I joined DPR almost 12 years ago after purchasing a DSC-F717 (which I still own).

Same here, I was just about to click the ebay button on one of those, when I thought I'd check DPR one last time and the Canon 300D was just released. Prior to the 717 era it was film for me. Great tilt
screen or was it the lens? Then the 828 with RGB + Emerald sensor that didn't quite work but Sony
were always trying new ideas, still is. Similar to Apple without the hype that was probably needed.

I switched to Nikon with the D70 to tap my inherited AiS lenses from my father, and faded off the forums. I hesitated before buying the A7, but Sony's commitment to the E mount convinced me. It's just a matter of time until more FE lenses appear...

I inherited a Carl Ziess Jena 50mm that needs a wrench to focus it.

I have three Zuiko OM primes that are very small and almost impossible to focus on the Canon,
EVF will solve that. So I'm right with lenses for a while, I'm just a bit distracted with this Sony light mixer that was beamed down at work -

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-MVS7000X/

and now back to the movie.

Cheers

Peter

-- hide signature --

In the beginning was the rhythm but I had forgotten and was waiting for the beat.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow