Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?
In reply to nevercat, 4 months ago

nevercat wrote:

dear Ramius,

I see some big misunderstandings in your posts in this thread:

1. The A7 is not a professional camera, it is aimed at the advanced amateurs. Yes there will be professionas using this camera, but it is not aimed at them, Sony is missing the right service for them.

2. third party les builders are not jumping in a new system when it comes to market. It took Sigma more then one and a half year to get their two primes for the E-mount, and even longr for mft. So it will not come at launch with a FE lens. The FF E-mount cameras are the only one in the market at this moment and it will bring to much risk to Sigma when they can't spread the risk over more then one brand...

3. Developping lenses is a long and expensive process, so it is not wise to wait with launching your new system until you have a lot of lenses. Better is go develop a few, launch your system and when it is a success create more lenses.

4. FE is not a movement, it is the Full Frame E-mount lens standard.

5. The fact that Sony shows the APS E-mount lenses on the A7 on a camera show is very smart, you show the compatability with these lenses.

6. Tamron is cooperating with Sony, it is possible that they designed and build some of the FE lenses and sell it under the Sony name (at this moment it is possible that the kitlens is a Tamron design).

I do agree with you that it would be nice to have more lenses for the A7, but I don't think more lenses will attract more professional users, as they want more then lenses alone. This camera is not for sport or wildlife photographyso it will not sell in large numbers to those photographers.

Sonyhas a lens roadmap with a total of 15 lenses on it for the next 2 years, so they prommised to support the new system in that way.

Remember that good lenses are expensive, there is no way that will change. I once got myself a 70-400G lens that was more expensive then my A700 was. And there are lense out there that costs over 10 times the price of the camera they are used on...

Sony started te FF E- mount with some high quality glass, and there are still people complaining about the quality of the kit zoom lens... You can't please them all...

Well reasoned response.

The A7 is not a professional camera, it is aimed at the advanced amateurs. Yes there will be professionas using this camera, but it is not aimed at them, Sony is missing the right service for them.

Correct on both points. This is an advanced amateur series (although some of the lens expectations sound more amateur than professional).

True professionals expect cameras with rated shutter clicks - which Sony doesn't offer. It's at best a camera pros might stuff in their case with a 35mm lens to shoot when they have specialty lenses on their D800s or a 5DMarkIIIs. It's too interesting to ignore - but not proven enough to stake a job on.

Sony is, I believe, ahead of the pack in producing electronic cameras of the future. If they had a charismatic, visionary leader like Steve Jobs, they could trounce Nikon and Canon the same way Apple trounced Microsoft and Blackberry. The point-and-shoot market is no more moribund today than the cellphone market was in 2007 when Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone - and who would have thought in 2010 that the iPad would slaughter the Windows laptop market within 3 years?

With the right marketing, the A6000 could steal the market for amateur DSLRs from the iPhone generation looking for a "better camera" that's closer in size to the iPhone than even most MFTs. And for amateurs seeking a step up from their current APS-C DSLRs, an A7 with kit lens could be a Nikon/Canon killer (most DSLR buyers don't go beyond the kit lens, anyway) - just aggressively marketing FF at an APS-C price would take the upper-end DSLR market from Nikon and Canon, even though 90% of buyers wouldn't realize their full potential. 90% of those toting heavy APS-C  DSLRs don't come close to realizing the potential of cameras that outsell Sony by a mile.

Sony has it right - no sense developing an FE lens lineup designed for pros until they have the artillery to satisfy 90% of the advanced amateur market. By the 6th month after launch of the A7, they're likely to have all the lenses they need to do that.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow