Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone disappointed with the FE movement?
In reply to 4Motioner, 6 months ago

I think you need to be patient. I'm a bit frustrated by the lack of lenses as well, especially since most of the FE lenses available carry the Zeiss logo and thus also the Zeiss price tag. I think we need to remember the developing a lens is quite complicated and 5 months is not a very long time to do that. I'm hoping Sony will take some of the FF Alpha lenses and make new FE versions of them, especially some fast primes and a non-zess 24-70mm f2.8 zoom.

The way I see it, Sony brought out FE bodies for a few reasons:
- People with interest in legacy lenses and wanting to use them at the purposed FOV.
- People with interest in a high quality FF option that is more portable.
- Both of the above to also get customers from Canon and Nikon camps to consider Sony even if that meNt they mostly used their existing lenses.

When we talk native lenses, it is the second point. Sony's round one is clearly about establishing E-mount (also applies to APSc cameras) as the portable solution without settling for smaller sensors. This is best met with a complete line of fast but not fastest zooms, and complimented with logically fast primes.

Take note of how many are already whining about the size/weight of 70-200G (which I find amuusing because I consider that the right size/weight for a fast tele on my NEX-6 as I use a similarly sized lens today which actually is heavier). Imagine these same folks whining about cost, size and weight of f/2.8 zooms.

For those who don't mind the size and weight, they already have the solution: A-mount via adapters, or use their existing DSLR lenses from other mounts. This works for occasional use (that is my approach). If I used the set up regularly, one should ask self: do you really care about portability? And what brings you to E-mount?

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow