The 'discriminatory-nature' of capture-date stipulations!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xml6000
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
The 'discriminatory-nature' of capture-date stipulations!
4 months ago

Statistically-speaking, capture-date stipulations reduce the talent-gene-pool of submission entries.

I think that's a great shame because some photographers may have invested a day capturing pizza dough being tossed or, juice squirting (frozen by flash) from a firm orange as a blunt knife suddenly breaches the outer defences of its skin (I think we get the idea).

Surely, providing an image hasn't been previously entered in another challenge, why make a prejudicial-distinction against it because it was taken last week, last year, - or in the 70's?

In my eyes, talent is talent - and in these liberal times is it really right to deny someone's entry based on the date it was captured?

I accept that challenge guidelines and rules need adhering to otherwise chaos rules supreme - but who wouldn't like to see a newly discovered work by Picasso or the 60's photographer David Bailey - or someone yet unknown - but brilliant - today?

Time (moreover a time restraint) produces nothing whatsoever in a tangible sense. But people do - every day - the world over - and to refuse their work a showcase based on a 'rule of time'' smacks of a discriminatory action in my mind.

I appeal to all who set challenges to consider the wider picture of the points I've raised here - unless someone has a compelling argument for keeping date-stipulations firmly in place?

Over to you.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yupNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow