Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,660Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for the effort :)
In reply to Øyvin Eikeland, 6 months ago

Øyvin Eikeland wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

I did another test while I was at it, and the results are interesting and unexpected. I shot both at ISO 3200 and underexposed by 2 stops, then pushed the exposure 2 stops in Aperture. The GX7 picked up far less noise than the G6, giving it at least a 1-stop advantage.

Thanks

I now know a bit more about what to excpect if I choose to upgrade. Having a bit less noise at ISO3200 would be nice (but not a must).

You're welcome. Though, to be honest, I did the test to satisfy my own curiosity. My motivation was practical, not theological, as I shoot a lot of low-light events professionally. The noise difference with good exposure is pretty minimal, so most of the time I won't need to think about which camera I'm using. But, if I have to shoot 6400 or lift shadows, it's good to know the GX7 is better. This works out fine with my usual usage pattern, where I put a long zoom on the G6 (lit podium) and a wide prime on the GX7 (unlit audience).

-- hide signature --

jacquescornell.com

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow