Ridiculously colorful bird taking a bath

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,189Gear list
Like?
Danny - it's been crazy here!
In reply to nzmacro, 4 months ago

nzmacro wrote:

You been out with the spray cans again huh Was it put to sleep before you painted it ??

LOL, what a gorgeous bird, man those colours are out of the 70's Justin. I reckon it's been listening to Purple Haze with Hendrix.

Indeed!  I can only imagine what would have happened if you released a flock of these into a room full of acid-droppers in the 60s!

What a beauty to have seen let alone get some great shots of. Painted Buntings I have seen shots of, but these would probably be the most fun shots I've seen of them ..... by far. That last shot is to die for, gorgeous in fact. Talking about colours, how about green with envy this end We have nothing on this little beauty.

I have had shots of these guys for years - but probably the first 3 years the only shots I could get were sitting on feeders.  I have been trying so hard to find them in other places with more natural settings - this is a 'lucky' spot as I've managed to figure out a consistent spot where they like to come bathe - it's about 40 feet from a feeder they frequent, and down under an overhanging tree so it's protected - the light isn't great, but you catch the little guys bathing and being a bit more natural!

Had a beautiful fine weekend here but couldn't get out to shoot. Too much to do at home, but, aha, going away up north for 4 days this week to cover the formula 1 and hydroplane power boats, that should be fun. Gives the long lenses a shot or two at high speeds. Really looking forward to it.

I've been in the same - these shots are a few weeks back - the past two weeks have been nuts for me at home.  Had a drainage pipe leak from my bar ice machine, which caused the walls to soak - had insurance out to appraise the damage, tore out the walls, and found mold inside.  So they tore out a bedroom closet, the bar wall, and the back bathroom wall - 3 different rooms!  Since then, it's been construction zone, plastic down all over my house, people trudging through and banging and hammering every day, picking out paints and tiles and carpets to redo the rooms, my cat freaking out and hiding under a couch all day long...I have to stick around much more during the weekends, or run out to the design stores and supply stores to pick out paints and tiles and appliances each weekend - getting in a lot less birding!

Today, the bedroom closet and bar should both be finished.  Tomorrow, the bathroom tiles and windows should be done, Thursday painting in the bathroom, and Friday install the new vanity and toilet and shower controls...I'm hoping the last of it this weekend and into Monday, then the house should be back to normal (better than normal, since I do get to redesign an outdated bathroom), and March 22 should be a normal birding weekend again!

I look forward to seeing your race shots - I love tracking fast boats and planes!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ron,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow