tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,166Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't think he is wrong, exactly
In reply to stuntmonkey, 5 months ago

stuntmonkey wrote:

tex wrote:

So it is here: comparisons against DSLR's are not entirely appropriate, any more than comparing them to m43 format. The difficulty is, there really isn't a populated object class for these cameras----there isn't anything to compare them to. Right now they are black swans.

It's not a comparison to the DSLR, it's a commentary about the comparison to the DSLR. When Gizmodo runs articles titles like "Why the DSLR is Dead" etc etc, then the current state of the discussion is fair game. An experienced shooter knows the difference, but you can't talk about "serious mirrorless" without running into "Is it as good as DSLR?"... even if that question has less meaning than it seems that it does.

mmmmm, I don't think so.  And who cares what Gizmodo says?

Or to put it another way, if Canon/Nikon are 80% of the market (in NA at least) then why shouldn't the A7/A7r be compared to DSLR's.

Because it's not a DSLR.

As a sales effort, if it doesn't have something more to give than what people already know, then why should it exist? E.G., how can one talk about the benefits of the A7r without spelling out exactly how it's better than a D800?

It is only "better" in terms of size.  That's it, in this iteration.  In all other respects the D800/800e is a better device with the exception of the EVF, and that is a highly debatable point.  In some ways an OVF is far better, in some ways an EVF that is decent is an advantage.

Hence, the comparisons are unavoidable and valid, even if they can lead the conversation astray sometimes.

Again, I strongly see it as apples and oranges. YMMV.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow