Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,985Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's review - nothing really new, but:
In reply to buellom, 6 months ago

buellom wrote:

It shows that Sony is not yet there where they want to be. As I stated before these cameras are not yet mature products and it seems not that easy to get there.

Sony has terrefic sensors but indeed what is the benefit of a 36MP sensor when the surroundings make it very hard to get these pixel to work.

The worst problem, at least for me, would be simply having to be more careful hand-holding.  With more resolution it would be harder to not introduce motion blur.  If you mean the "shutter shock", this effect seems to exist in many cameras, particularly those with mirrors.

But the most annoynig aspect is that Sony cooks the raws. True, in most cases this doesn't matter. But it's the approach: What if they starting cooking the raws even more in future cameras? It's not what I want and my guess is most people who are looking for a high resolution landscape camera aren't either.

The decision to cook raws is for me a sign that Sony isn't actually going in the right direction. A show stopper.

In what way does it "cook" the raw file?  If you mean the lossy compression, I would not call that cooking; I would call it a potential loss of information.

-- hide signature --

www.freude-am-licht.de

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow