Steve Huff reviews X-T1, loves it (mostly)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
TThorne
Senior MemberPosts: 2,463Gear list
Like?
Re: Some of his results
In reply to chuck12, 6 months ago

chuck12 wrote:

SaltLakeGuy wrote:

sure don't match up with my experience. I had the Olympus EM1 along with several primes and zooms and honestly there is NO way I would compare the two in ultimate IQ results. The EM1 (as is the case with ALL mft cameras) produce a higher level of ISO noise as well as diminished resolution from ISO800 on up. It's not only in technical tests out there but in real world results I've experienced. The one thing that really raised the hair on the back of my neck is him insinuating that the X-T1 blew highlights earlier than an EM1. That's just flat out NUTS! I'm getting a solid 1 to 1.5 stops better highlight retention in RAW than the EM1 could ever hope to muster. ISO3200 is really pushing it in several regards for an EM1 viewed full screen while I wouldn't hesitate to scrutinize a X-T1 right up to 6400 all day long. Build is a matter of taste, and now I'm used to the X-T1 I frankly wouldn't want to go back to the EM1's ergonomics. Viewfinder aside I feel build wise it is at least as good and better in some areas than the EM1. As for color rendition, Oly has always been a favorite of mine, but having watched the evolution of Fuji's and now experiencing it for myself there is NO way I'd make the comment that the Oly is superior to the Fuji in color rendition.

As for speed, sure, in good light the focus lock on a subject with contrast is a speck faster on the EM1, not much that's for sure. In low light the T1 smokes the EM1 as when I tested it in lower light with items with less contrast it hunted and stopped and gave up, where my T1 locks focus with very little hesitation. I darn sure don't miss the "all ISO noise" in sky's of which I have a lot of here in Utah. That annoyed the crud out of me with ALL Olympus's and the EM1 was as if not more guilty then other's in their line. The X-T1 gives me the results of a FF camera's I've owned and tested (Nikon D700 and Canon 6D) without any artifacts and lack of detail rendering. In fine detail like landscapes when viewed 100% on screen the Oly falls completely apart above ISO1600. I can shoot the X-T1 at ISO6400 with outrageous wonderful results no loss of detail or smudging (which the EM1 was full of on fine details). So I have NO idea why Huff commented as he did. We either used two different cameras or he's just in denial. It's his perogative I guess.

You really are the king of fanboys.

Steve isn't comparing IQ of the Fuji, for the reason that it's trivial to compare when he has a full frame camera the kicks both their asses. So why suggest he is?

I do not have the X-T1 but I have the X-E2 and have an E-M1 here this week for evaluation. Similar to Steve, I would agree m43 in general has better highlight retention, I have read this many times and also with previous m43 I would also say that was the case. The sensor lends itself well to this. It isn't "flat out Nuts!"

As for the focus, the Fuji is still stupidly slow in low light. In bright light I find them inseparable, but low light E-M1 flat out wins.

The X-E2 / X-T1 is definitely a notch better in high ISO, which is why I personally use that over m43, but to say you can shoot at ISO 6400 on the X-T1 "without any loss of detail or smudging" is total fanboy BS.

It sounds like you made a rather expensive purchase, and are now in denial about it's limitations.

Chuck, it is so nice when others save me time by posting for me. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. - Sir Winston Churchill

TThorne's gear list:TThorne's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow