Ridiculously colorful bird taking a bath

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Re: Ridiculously colorful bird taking a bath
In reply to zackiedawg, 7 months ago

zackiedawg wrote:

From a few weeks ago - I just thought it would be nice to help break up the various tech data, new camera debates, and occasional argument threads with a few occasional photo threads too - these were not the best of conditions as it was raining almost constantly this day - I had my NEX-5N in its Ziploc bag cover, with the 55-210mm lens and DH1758 1.7x teleextender, in very grey poor light, and found this bird way down at the waterline hiding under overhanging trees - pretty much a nightmare scenario for nice shots. But these birds are so ridiculously colorful that even in poor low light and grey overcast they look like a carnival float or colorful stuffed kids' toy. I couldn't help but snap some pics of the little guy - ended up being my only birding photos from that day as the rain got heavier and heavier and eventually chased me away. Here you go:

Male painted bunting, standing in the water - notice I started with ISO3200 to make sure I had enough shutter speed to get the shot

Once I knew I had a few shots of the bird safely on the card, I decided for as long as he was willing to stay there, I'd lower the ISO, bring the shutter speed down, and see how slow of a shutter I could use and still get usable details on the bird - this was ISO1600

Really pushing it - I went down to ISO800 - which at F8 could only net me a 1/40 shutter speed - at 535mm equivalent focal! Stabilization and a good old steady hand to the rescue, and timing the bird in between its shakeoffs and head bobbing (birds seem in almost constant motion and stabilization won't help keep the bird still!)...but I got a few usable shots out of 4 or 5.

Not my finest work - the conditions were horrible. But I thought the birding crowd here might enjoy a look at one of the more colorful wild birds you'll find in the United States!

Comments, questions, critique welcomed, as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

Wow, those are some fun colours!

Thanks for posting!

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ron,New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow