G6 vs newest sensors: Real difference in high ISO noize

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
Re: Test shots: G6 vs. GX7 noise
In reply to Jere Landis, 6 months ago

Jere Landis wrote:

And really, how important is that small amount of difference? It's not even worth the rhetoric to tell about it. Does everyone just shoot in the dark nowadays? I know I don't have to read them, but some of these threads are really ridiculous, such a waste of time.

I agree that there's a lot of heavy breathing on the forums at times, but to me the difference between the G6 and GX7, while not earth-shaking, is significant. I shoot corporate events in low light, so although both of these cameras do what I need, it's good to know which is going to give me a cleaner 3200 or usable 6400 in a pinch. Also, the much greater ability to push shadows on the GX7 is helpful. If I'm doing a shot of a lit stage with a lot of the murky unlit audience in the frame, I'll choose the GX7 because I know I can lift the shadow areas by a stop or more. I'm still keeping the G6, though. Both cameras have their uses, which is why I bought one of each.

-- hide signature --

jacquescornell.com

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow