Like?
Re: Who will abandon mirrorless first?
In reply to David Hull, 4 months ago

David Hull wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

David Hull wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

It's all about the OVF for me. I haven't had a chance yet to try the latest greatest EVFs (I think those would be the ones in the new Olympus EM-10 and the Fuji XT 1),

E-M1, not non-existing "EM-10" or even E-M10.

but up to this point I can easily tell the difference between watching a small TV or screen and actually looking out at the real world through the big hole in the front.

And that is a good thing. The whole in the front cannot show you where you have overexposed or underexposed or botched ISO or WB, for example.

But the display on the back can -- so you have the best of both worlds in that regard.

Not really - the display on DSLRs has low resolution, invisible in bright light, and on most DSLRs does not even tilt. And most importantly, DSLRs cannot autofocus with any decent speed this way, while mirrorless (at least decent ones, not from Canon or Pentax) autofocus quickly and much more precisely than DSLRs with separate AF systems.

This is somehow supposed to be a rebuttal to my comment? Did you read it or did you just decide to do some editorializing? You commented that having an EVF should somehow save you from over exposed, under exposed, botched ISO or WB. The little LCD on the back of a DSLR does all this quite well.

It does not do it "quite well", because DSLR with the screen loses ability to autofocus "quite well".

And if it is resolution that you are concerned about, the OVF blows away the EVF (any of them) in every way.

Except there is no point because OVF cannot do anything EVF can except showing framing - and unlike EVF, in most DSLRs even that is approximation, not 100%.

There are other things that the EVF can do that the OVF cannot but these particular ones would not be high on my list.

Everybody has their own priorities. But the fact is, DSLR user chimp all the time while mirrorless users don't, because there is no need.

OK, I'll bite -- if that is the case, then why do all of those mirrorless cameras have an LCD on the back side then.

There is play mode, there are settings, and many customers like to shoot like it is a P&S or smartphone.

After all, you can't see it, it is lower resolution, etc. etc. etc. Given that most of these mirrorless cameras cost as much as the equivalent DSLR (if not more than), they could save some money (not to mention power).

They turn off power to the screen when you are using EVF.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow