ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
compositor20
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
Focus accuracy of A99 vs A77
8 months ago

Hello to all.

I know that they have the same primary AF module (minus the on sensor module for which I don´t have any lens compatible), but Im thinking about buying A99 mainly for better high ISO, for Auto-Iso in Manual Mode, to be able to use my Tamron 28-75 2.8 and Sigma 75-200 2.8-3.5 as they are intended and specially to have better focus accuracy, since they are very sharp lenses wide open but are betrayed buy the AF system.

I´m a wedding photographer and use center point only with focus and recompose technique... and I only trust to do it with Tamron 17-50 at 2.8... the above mentioned lenses I only trust at f3.5- f4. Im only disapointed when there are shots that should have been keepers and I took only one of that kind.

- I know that both have AF micro-adjustment but I want to here reports of people that had both and comment about having lower values with A99 than with A77 with the same lens (instead of -7, it has -2) I would really apreciate comments from people that have 70-200 2.8 lenses (as my 75-200 even used at f4 front focus at 75 if I correct it for 200).

- Would prefer to here opinions from people with screw driven lenses since those are the ones I have (I also have Sigma 50mm f1.4 and I would like to know if you can trust that lens with A99 since I can´t trust it with A77 even with micro-adjustment).

I use mostly single shot Af mode so Im not looking for better c-af accuracy even though you can share info about it if you like.

Still thinking about Sony A99 but that price doesn´t look to come down... and the new A77 mk2 is APS-C and I really need the real 75mm side of a 75-200.

Thank you all.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow