Backpacking/world travel 45mm or 75mm?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
WhiteBeard
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
Re: Backpacking/world travel 45mm or 75mm?
In reply to wilsc, 9 months ago

I am sorry to have to say that a lot of these opinions are based on each person's favourite lens but not on the actual premise of an 18 months world tour.

Let's summarize the objectives here, based on my own travel experiences:

1) Weight sucks. Bringing along lenses that almost overlap is a sin.

2) In 18 months, you'll need - or you'll wish you had brought along - a wide range of focal lengths: 65-80% on the wide side but still 20-35% on the longer-range focals.

3) While a pocketable P&S with a good zoom lens would be a good back-up to bring along at times when even a µ4/3 set-up is cumbersome, you'll never forgive yourself to have compromised quality for size on those few unavoidable super shot occasions where high quality is needed. Let's face it, you probably won't do such a thing any time soon...

So... Your idea of bringing the EM5 with the 12-40 F2.8 i a great start and will cover by itself almost 80% of your needs on such a trip. Adding a good, light telephoto zoom in the 45-150 (Panasonic) or 40-150 (Olympus) range should cover the rest of it. The high resolution of the EM5 (bring a LOT of good SD high-capacity cards) will handle the few times when you'll want a tighter crop than a 300mm equiv. lens will provide. I'd forget the fixed focals since they are too dedicated; excellent at what they do best in certain situations but not worth the weight on such a trip. Now I am also rather fond of the P&S backup, as long as it is pocketable.

There you have it. My own experiences with exotic travels (French Polynesia and China/Japan) tell me you are a very lucky guy to have as much equipment choice as you do now. Enjoy your trip and bring us back a lot of good pictures!

WhiteBeard's gear list:WhiteBeard's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S2 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
75mmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow