Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
panometrical
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?
ZD 70-300 Has Gone Soft
5 months ago

I hadn’t used my 70-300 for a few months until in early January I got my MMF-3 adapter for my new E-M1. The results were nothing but terrible. While the camera would lock focus, this pictures off the card were uniformly blurry. When my E-5 came back from repair a week or two later it produced similar results. I tried shooting a test chart from a tripod with both cameras and even in manual focus things weren't clear, and with focus peaking on in the case of the E-M1 the pixel ``sparkle`` was completely absent in the display.

My 70-300 is five years old now, two months past its five year warranty (Canada). I paid $429 for it. While I’ve always cursed its auto focus and hunting at the long end, it was always tack sharp at the shorter lengths and on the longer ones it always sharpened up nicely in post if I shot it at around f/9. While it’s never been dropped or mishandled, it’s done its fair share of work as my travel zoom and at its price after these years it owes me nothing.

I do realize that whatever is wrong with it, I can get it repaired flat fee by Olympus or for probably for about the same by the local repair outfit, I imagine an element in it has shifted or some such thing. That said, even working perfectly it isn't a great lens on the E-M1 as far as AF and balance go, so what should I do? Fix and sell at a modest increase? Offer to send it to anyone willing to pay shipping who might want to get it fixed themselves? Make it into one of those groovy, Canon-style zoom lens travel mugs? Sell the lens hood on Ebay for $20? What would you do?

panometrical's gear list:panometrical's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Nikon D3200 Olympus E-M1 +12 more
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow