E-M1 Optimum Settings for Bird Photography.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258Gear list
Like?
E-M1 Optimum Settings for Bird Photography.
4 months ago

Background:  I have been using the Panasonic 100-300 lens with the E-M5 for bird photography for two years.  I have  IS1, Anti-Shock 1/8 second, typically hand hold many shots between 1/250 and 1/500 second at f7.1 when shooting under 25 feet range.  Try to use higher shutter speeds when possible, but normally can't get up to 1/1000 or better very often.  Am moderately satisfied with the camera-lens combo for birds, but wish for a sharper and faster lens.

Yesterday:  Finally got around to shooting a little with the E-M1 and the 100-300 lens, both hand held and on tripod at small birds.  Was very disappointed with sharpness.  I could not get a tack sharp image on any birds or even when focusing on the bark of large oak trees.  Slightly blurry.  Shooting hand held between 1/250 and 1/1000 seconds in sun and shade.   Couldn't even get a sharp image of tree bark on a tripod.  A number of times I got an in focus confirmation when the lens was definitely not in focus (on low contrast targets).

Note: Shooting with Panny 12-35 lens on the E-M1 gives decent images, if possibly a little less sharp that my E-M5.

Now Here is where I need Advice:  For those getting sharp small bird images at 300mm with the E-M1, what combination of IS mode, Anti-Shock setting, and Release Lag Time have you found best?

What other tips may you have, considering that I already know how to get fairly good images with the same lens on the E-M5?  Any help is appreciated.

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow