Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,230Gear list
Like?
I don't think he is wrong, exactly
In reply to Horshack, 7 months ago

I own an A7r, btw, plus the NEX7 And an A850.

So, I think he says some things that are real.  I definitely want an untouched raw file, don't you????---let's hope we get something like that in the coming firmware update.  I know it means much larger files:  I don't care.  I shoot slow.  I knew what I was getting into when I bought a 36mp FF camera. Although based on things I've been reading lately there seem to be more than a few people who have no idea why they want these cameras.  I am reminded of middle aged wealthy men with slow reflexes buying high end sports cars to drive on American highways in what is probably second gear in those cars.  And wondering why they have to put their cars in the shop so frequently.

Also, the shutter shock problem is real.  There's a boatload of testing on it, now.   And it's very unfortunate.  But I can work around it (and I'm using the camera with the vertical grip, and will see if the added mass helps...).

Where I think there is a problem with the review is the comparison to full size DSLR's .  I don't see that as a valid comparison---I already have a full size DSLR that I love and continue to use.  I wanted something smaller.  The NEX7 was close---and would be more then close if there were no other options, but now there is.  I'll continue to use it, probably for any grab type photography I might do, and set up for stitching (and I'm getting more excited about that----it's a great size for a stitching camera!).  Still, I needed something in a small package that performed at least as well as what I already had full size.  I may not have gotten that completely, but it's looking good enough at this point.

So, that size bit is a big deal, and so is the evf---that is working out very well for me as it brings back manual focus for me----AF was starting to be a problem for me.  When it's good it is very good, but when it's not......I've had more shots ruined by AF problems in the past several years than with good ole' MF zone focusing----which is way easier to do with legacy MF lenses (or the new Samyang/Rokinon/ Bower/ WILL YOU PLEASE MAKE UP YOUR @#$*&%! MIND ABOUT THE NAME!!!! lenses, or Zeiss and other new MF) than with AF lenses.  And, btw, I like buying lenses from whom I wish, and at least with Sony that's a real option, and a better one than m4/3 imo.  I'm not seeing a lot of problems with my adapters so far.  These are the points Thom isn't stressing as hard as the negatives.

So it's the emphases I see as less than acceptable from a critical standpoint.  Optimally, criticism should critique from within the parameters of the object class of the object being critiqued: tragedy within its tropes and concerns, comedy within its.  Don't criticize comedy for being insufficiently serious and vice versa.  So it is here:  comparisons against DSLR's are not entirely appropriate, any more than comparing them to m43 format.  The difficulty is, there really isn't a populated object class for these cameras----there isn't anything to compare them to.  Right now they are black swans.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software. Personal website: www.texandrewsart.com
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow