Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
dave92029
Contributing MemberPosts: 671Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r
In reply to osv, 6 months ago

I have a lot of respect for Tom and enjoy reading and value his reviews...BUT, when comparing two cameras I do believe that their Cost must also be considered.

The  Nikon D800e retails for approx. $3,300 vs $2,300 for the Sony A7r.  The Nikon costs 43% more than the Sony so it does more things faster and better. If you are a professional reviewer who gets to use their gear for free, this may not matter to to you, but in the real world where I live, price matters. When I pay more I expect to get more.

When doing Tom's comparison and factoring the difference in price, weight, and size, I can see why many are buying the Sony A7 and A7r. Sure, there are cameras that are "better" but not close to Sony's price, weight and size.

I add weight and size, because many would not be able to take that great photo, because their fabulous FF DSLR was home because they didn't want to carry that 5+ pound monster!

No matter how many great things a camera can do, if you don't take it with you, it doesn't matter. Size and weight does matter...a lot! IMHO

Tom ignored, or didn't give enough weight to the differences in Price, Size, and Weight IMHO. Otherwise he did an other informative review. ;>)

Dave

dave92029's gear list:dave92029's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow