Backpacking/world travel 45mm or 75mm?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,506Gear list
Like?
Re: How dedicated are you to the photographic part of your trip? Take both.
In reply to Dave Sanders, 4 months ago

Dave Sanders wrote:

The truth is, if you're not going to put the time in to get decent photos, just take your 12-40 and a tele zoom and be happy. If you want to spend a bit of time focusing on photography, go with a couple of primes.

While I agree that the added discipline needed to use primes can sometimes focus the mind in a way that results in better photos, I disagree with the implication that excellent work can't be done with zooms. Primes have two main advantages: 1) more light gathering, and 2) shallower DoF. For shooting in good light with deep focus, primes are simply inconvenient. For shooting in low light or using selective focus, primes help. The choice really has more to do with the location, time of day, subject, and the photographer's visual style than with whether one wants to "put in the time to get decent photos." I put in plenty of time and work hard to get good photos, and I do it mostly with zooms. But, not always.

-- hide signature --

jacquescornell.com

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
75mmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow