ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?
Panasonic 45-150mm Vs. 35-100mm for birding
9 months ago

Hi everyone,

I recently got the 45-150mm Panny for the main purpose of birding.  I was planning on using it mostly wide open at 150mm f5.7 and if lighting allowed it, I would stop down to f8. Overall, I've come to learn that speed is of essence in catching birds. You need all the speed you can get in a lens and camera.

However, call it buyer remorse or something, I'm wondering if the 35-100mm would have suited me better. It's shorter at 100mm but it should be much sharper allowing for more crop power and much faster (can shoot very sharp at f4 Vs. f8 on the 45-150mm) allowing for reducing ISO and further increasing crop power. There is the factor of cost as well with it being 5X more expensive. So I don't know if I'm getting my money's worth out of that large price difference. The 35-100mm is larger and heavier as well.

NOTE: I tried the 100-300mm Panny, I didn't like using it at all.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow