Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
dbm305
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r
In reply to Will Frost, 9 months ago

If I was intent on being the next Ansel Adams, and so I was chasing pixels, I wouldn't buy the A7r. Chasing pixels means tripods, and carrying stuff, and thoughtful setups. The otherwise enormous weight of a D800 plus lenses is less of an impediment, especially compared to the size and weight of a 4x5 film kit that a D800 would replace. He's right. If I'm chasing pixels, I'm not going to mess with shutter shock or compressed raw files. It's not worth it.

Mabe not worth it to you; but I do a lot of wilderness photography on foot or on bicycle.

I can bring an A7r and a few lenses and a tripod. And better than can: I do. I stopped bringing the 5DMk III on trips like this a few years ago; just too much hassle.

NO: shutter shock. As far as I can tell it's a rare case where the effective resolution ends up worse than the A7. Mostly it's better even in the so-called 'dead' zone. But I'm not often in the dead zone, or on a tripod, can contrive no to be. Would I prefer a quieter shutter? Sure. Would I give up on 1/8000 second  to get it? Sure. But does it mean the A7r is not worth it for chasing pixels? Hell no.

Ditto the lossy compression. I don't think I've seen an artefact yet. I"m prepared to believe there are things you can do that might bring something on (a frind claims that if you darken a sky by changing the luminance of the blue channel, and then mask and aggressive mess with the curve in photoshop you can bring on posterisation). But once again, not a deal breaker. And in fact I'm not sure I want to deal with even bigger files.

So for my purposes, it's A7r thanks. Used with care better than the A7; used with moderate care at worst no worse. And I don't think the A7 implementation of PDAF is very exciting (I do hope the A9 or A7II or whatever has focus like the A6000.

For what it's worth, here's my take on Thom Hogan. He writes about, and uses, FF Nikon DSLRS and micro four thirds, and is comfortable with that (my situation a few years ago except Canon)

Now the A7 series is not as intimately ergonomically nice, versatile, and predictable as a D800E and the best lenses.

Nor is it as compact as M43, especially with a large lens kit.

Using both systems is not a bad solution.

But if you want one system, because you want FF quality when travel, or don't want to mess with two systems, the A7 is a great compromise. Actually a mind blowing compromise.

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow