Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
er3
er3
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Another vote for neither
In reply to wilsc, 7 months ago

wilsc wrote:

In 7 months time I'll be leaving for an 18 month world packing packing trip and can't decide what lenses to take. The trip is going to be a mix of everything (hiking in the Himalayas, European cities, snowboarding in Japan, SE Asia....) as will my photos.

At the moment I'm taking my EM5 with the 12-40mm and the 9mm fish eye body cap (takes up no space and is cheap).

I want to take one more prime with me, the 45mm or the 75mm? I don't want to take both because I'm backpacking and weight/space will be an issue. If you could choose one of these for my situation which one would it be?

Having just returned from a similar 3 month journey through parts of SEA, I had my Oly 14-150mm & Pano 20mm for darker conditions. I never needed anything else. When you're out there, you're not really going to want to change lenses too often or have the time when you're trying to get "the shot." A zoom with a longer range will have the reach or wide angle you need most of the time. And for as far as you're going, less is best. Your back will thank you.

But I realize you probably don't want to buy a new lens if you don't already have so the 75 since it give you a little more variety.

er3's gear list:er3's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
75mmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow