Backpacking/world travel 45mm or 75mm?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
pocketpygmy
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
Re: Backpacking/world travel 45mm or 75mm?
In reply to wilsc, 9 months ago

last year i was in SE asia for 3 weeks and at the time only had one lens for my em5: the panasonic leica 25mm f1.4. the 50mm equivalent focal length is very versatile, and so was the f1.4. seems like most people would recommend a 17 or a 20 for all purpose shooting but personally i find that range of focal lengths to be pretty bland -- neither here nor there. 25mm encourages a more thoughtful selectiveness in composition, in my opinion, just before it gets too specific or limiting as it might with the 45 or 75. i might recommend the new olympus 25mm f1.8 over the PL 1.4 for its lighter weight and substantially closer minimum focus distance, which i think opens up more dramatic photographic opportunities than simply a lens that's f0.4 faster, or has ineffable 'magical' image properties (that can sorta be faked in post anyway).

if you really just want to go longer, i'd agree with whatsisname about the inexpensive 40-150mm. when traveling i think you'll appreciate the versatility and longer length in order to pick out visual details and whatnot, more than uber sharpness & bokeh. saves you a pretty penny too (esp. if compared to the 75 or the 35-100!).

pocketpygmy's gear list:pocketpygmy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
75mmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow