Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Will Frost
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r
In reply to Horshack, 9 months ago

Well, that seems about right.

He hit on the primary disadvantages of the A7r.

He pointed out that the A7 is lots more fun to carry around than Nikon's equivalent.

And, he pointed out the primary reasons people pick full frame are pretty darn specialized.

If I was made of money, I'd buy an A7, because I like FF for the shallow depth of field advantage, and I'd look forward to using manual focus lenses. The extra stop of high ISO is pretty nice too. Perfect! Heck, I like cropping to the square, so most of the APS-C E-mount lenses would do just fine. Like those really inexpensive Sigmas.

If I was intent on being the next Ansel Adams, and so I was chasing pixels, I wouldn't buy the A7r. Chasing pixels means tripods, and carrying stuff, and thoughtful setups. The otherwise enormous weight of a D800 plus lenses is less of an impediment, especially compared to the size and weight of a 4x5 film kit that a D800 would replace. He's right. If I'm chasing pixels, I'm not going to mess with shutter shock or compressed raw files. It's not worth it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow