Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Tim Devine
Contributing MemberPosts: 905Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r
In reply to Erik Magnuson, 7 months ago

DxO makes DxO Optics and DxO Optics Pro.  They aren't theory, they are actual raw converters, not so unlike ACR/LR.

DxO profiles the lenses with each camera and creates profiles for the lenses and the cameras.  If anything, I think DxO was gathering all this data for use in their raw software and they decided to start the whole DxOMark thing to put that data to other uses.

-Tim

Erik Magnuson wrote:

Jeff Kott wrote:

Actually, there was one piece of new info. He says the optimal ISO for normal exposures is 200. Since the dynamic range according to DXO is 14.07 at ISO 100 and 13.15 at ISO 200, I'm not sure why he says this. Can anybody explain?

You should send him an email asking for clarification. My guess is that it's the difference between theory (DxO) and practice with actual raw converters like ACR/LR. DxO DR is only concerned with the top and bottom and not the vast middle.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Tim Devine's gear list:Tim Devine's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sigma DP1 Merrill +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow