Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Erik Magnuson
Forum ProPosts: 11,722Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom Hogan's review of the A7/A7r
In reply to osv, 4 months ago

it just seems that the things that he missed are so obvious to those of us who use these cameras.

If they are obvious, then he does really need to mention them?

as steve huff put it: "The resolution of the LV and EVF on the A7r is double that of the D800 LV, and the EVF is much easier to use than the D800's OVF"

The first part of that sentence is a fact that could have been mentioned but is probably not that important to his usage. The second part is an opinion that he likely doesn't share.

plus one for huff, zero for hogan

Camera reviewing is now a competitive sport?

another example of how he's not understanding his readership was his fixation on the raw file situation... he devoted a bunch of prose to something that most of us don't notice, or are able to work around, in the worst case.

His point is that if you are not discriminating enough to notice these pixel level issues, then why do you really need 36MP? If you read his other articles, he often writes on "maximizing image capture" so he is consistent.

even with those raw file issues, wouldn't you rather be shooting sony a7r raw than any raw file that canon offers on their cameras? sony simply has more latitude in their raw files than anything canon currently offers, which i didn't see him mention.

So you missed the part where he said "I think that a lot of folk considering something like the Canon 6D or Nikon D610 ought to take a long look at the A7, for instance. [...]The sensor in the A7 is the same as in the Nikon D610, which I consider the best 24mp full frame sensor currently available."

I'm not sure you actually read his review at all.

-- hide signature --

Erik

Erik Magnuson's gear list:Erik Magnuson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 450D Sigma SD10 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Nikon D3200 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow