ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dock
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,470Gear list
Like?
Need your expert help with using the D800E
9 months ago

"Re: to sell a Nikon d800 for a d7100?? My friend has done it."

I have read this thread and the majority of you say the D 800 is better.

I just spent two weeks in Florida. I came back really confused. I spent two weeks with Nikon. The only conclusion I came up with was to test with artificial light and in a closed area. They were less than helpful because my long lens combination uses the Sigma 120-300mm and the 1.4 and the 2x teleconverters.

This all started because the gentleman I traveled with just bought a sigma 500 mm F 4.5 prime.(used on a Pentax 5II) He could take a small part of the sensor enlarge it and end up with a more detailed image than I. I tried both the D7000 and my new D800E. at 600 mm. He has demonstrated the need to use a straight lens and not use extenders. This still leaves me with the question. Is the 300 mm cropped on the D800E better or is it better on the D7000?

What I am looking at for the present time is to purchase the new Sigma 50-500 mm as my lens during good light. and using the 120-300mm for low light. Retired It takes a while before I get the $5000 for the 500 mm.

I did get good images Of BIF's using the D800E I like the extra space.  I also like the way it handles high ISO over the D7000

I just ran the following test: At a single distance I took the following shots with (manual) flash;

300 mm D800E, 300mm D7000, 420 mm D800E, 420 mm D7000, 600 mm D800E,

600 mm D7000, 900 mm D800E, 900 mm D7000. The last two came about by a mistake of connecting both teleconverters. I was using them to keep dust off the sensors.

All pictures are straight off the sensor only correcting to 5500K except the double teleconverters had to be lightened 2X.

I used the timer  for all shots. (A mistake was made and showed me that the camera is shaken using an instant release.)

Lastly, consider that I am going to have my 40th birthday of being 39. I sold a 600 mm f5.6 because of carrying 24 lbs of tripod,lens and camera was too much.

This picture shows the full frame of each image,

My concentration is to mimic a small bird that I would photograph. That is why I concentrated on the moose This place mat weaving gives minute detail. The next images are the cropped moose.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow