Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
snaphappyexpat
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
DPP (Digital Photo Professional) RAW sharpness setting not applied to JPG
9 months ago

I shoot RAW with a Canon 60D and use DPP to convert to JPG.

In DPP, I use the unsharp mask on the RAW tab and tune it until I'm happy (say, 8,3,5). I then convert to JPG (quality 10). The resulting JPG file, viewed in any of 3 JPG viewers on my PC, PSP X6 or via a web browser, looks considerably softer (about how it looks in DPP with USM=1,3,5!).

As a test, I converted the same image twice, one with USM=10,3,5 and one with USM=0,3,5. The difference in the JPG was so minute that I had to stick my eyes to the screen. The difference in DPP before the conversion was huge; 0 looked very soft and 10 looked over-sharpened. I then repeated the test and resized the file each time to 1024 in case the resizing algorithm DPP uses was having an effect; same results.

So my question is, is the USM not being applied to the JPG properly during conversion (software bug? - I'm on DPP v3.13.0.1) or is DPP simply rendering a sharper interpretation of the USM results than will actually be applied to the JPG it creates. If the former, then I'd love to know what, if the latter then for heavens sake, why?

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow