G1X Mk2 - First sample images ... (PICS)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
Re: Ha! Mk: II - the G1X Mk II = G1X
In reply to Marco Nero, 4 months ago

Marco Nero wrote:

howardroark wrote:

So to accomplish that goal you resurrect a thread that is weeks old? If someone is going to speak with authority about a subject he has absolutely no unique knowledge of and then goes on to further establish his own sense of infalability by claiming a new camera is an update instead of an entirely new model (since he said there wouldn't be a successor) then he deserves whatever he gets. If people like him and you would simply shutup about the subject, it would simply vanish. He should have been humble and admitted he was wrong and you should quit propogating an already dead discussion that it just so happens you wish would....die. Irony.

The problem here is that the Canon PowerShot G1X is not a G2X, it is a G1X Mk II

This is the same as assessing the last lens I bought: The Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM Mk II lens.

Its the same as the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM lens (now defined as the Mk1 or "original" lens).
Same lens, but later edition. The MkII addresses several issues which were resolved or corrected to a greater degree in the second edition.
Canon are treating the G1X Mk II as a simple retooling of the original (Mk1) version. Anything else would have been denoted by a new numerical name. Just like every other G-series camera... just like every other PowerShot camera. Even the EOS-M MkII is so similar to the original Mk1 that nobody could be bothered to sell the Mk II in the USA at the moment. The two models look physically identical. You'll notice that this only warranted a "Mk II" designation.... not an EOS-M2
The G1X Mk II is simply a re-tooling of the G1X. If anything, this is what I said the G1X should look like when it was first released... before everyone became cranky about the OVF (I said there should never have been one to begin with).

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Come on, you can't be serious. Its ok to be wrong. I didn't think there would be a follow up to the G1X either, no biggie. But you can't say it's "a simple retooling of the original (Mk1) version."

Canon's new model/mk nomenclature has nothing to do with how much a product changes. The S100 gets a touchscreen and swaps GPS for Wifi and it becomes the S110. The G1Xii has carried over almost nothing from the G1X, aside from possibly the sensor. New lens, new body, new screen, new lens wheels, new processor, new interchangeable grip, new lens cover, new controls... If it was a minor upgrade, like you usually get with just about every iteration from canon, be it S series, G series, Rebel, etc., I would agree in principal, but it's not even close. Its a total overhaul.

The only sense I see in Canon using the Mk is that they want to make the product seem like a high end line, to differentiate it from the G Series. The EOS 1D has gone through II, III, IV, and X, but not much has changed since 2001, right? But the Rebel is a cheaper model, so Canon decides to go to the 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, etc. with each successive, relatively modest evolution. What's in a name? Not much.

If you don't want to say you're wrong, ok, just move on and forget about it. If you keep at it you're just going to sound silly, and you won't convince very many people in the process.

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Ha!New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow