Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
Played with A6000 a bit (A7R user)
5 months ago

Visited a local camera expo yesterday and managed to get some time with the A6000, Sony stand was not that crowded and A7(R) was the item of most interest so I was able to play with the 6000 maybe 25 minutes or so. I'm currently looking into getting an A6000 as a backup body for my A7R as I let go of my Nex-7 in January. Had no chance to put in my own memory card so no comment on image quality, just wanted to get the feel on AF tracking, EVF quality and overall feel. So here is how I see the A6000 after the brief test

- the EVF was surprisingly good, the camera had 18-105 PZ and the Sony stand was not that well lit (used ISO 800) yet I observed no color noise and the response/refresh time was very nice. If I'd have to quess I think they went with lower res to optimize this EVF for action shooting. Even with full magnification in details the lower EVF resolution did not bother me much; did not have A7R with me so cannot really say what it would feel to test them side by side

- tested AF-C/tracking the best I could (no real high-speed targets available, but I tried to find busy people moving towards and away from me) and it definately feels much much better than I have tested before in E Mount camera, I've had Nex-6 and Nex-7 before my current A7R

- machine gun mode + buffer seemed to last very long, though I was only shooting jpg fine

- did not find the digital level, but it seemed I was not able to toggle between all display modes anyway, looked like preproduction FW was not quite complete

- configurability seemed ok, but it is a bit behind the A7R as the 6000 simple has less buttons. It seemed to me that the back control wheel was not as fully configurable (possibilty to assign functions for all direction) as in A7R

- the UI took some time to get used to despite being very similar to A7(R). I shoot mostly in M mode and since the 6000 does not have front and rear dials I was a bit lost for quite some time

All in all, I liked the A6000 and will propably put in a preorder in for one. Rather good price and functionality (tracking, burst) that nicely complements the A7R and enables more casual type of shooting with the electronic shutter. Sounds like a solid backup/2nd body for A7(R) user. I've have the FE 70-200/4 OSS in preorder and with the burst and tracking of A6000 I could see myself using the 70-200 for some sports/action type shooting with the 6000.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +11 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow