[Nikon] Worth ditching the 120-300 f/2.8 for the 200-400 f/4 ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
monographix
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?
[Nikon] Worth ditching the 120-300 f/2.8 for the 200-400 f/4 ?
4 months ago

In my first attempt to cover my need for ~500-600mm reach for motorsports & aviation i went for the highly praised 120-300 OS HSM (2012 model) + the Sigmas TCs. After almost a year of endless tests , discontentment and inspection and maintenance travels even to Sigma Japan with actually minimal final field use (just couple of pics) because of focus & tracking issues, i am coming to the conclusion that this combination DOESN'T WORK for action / sports photography. The AF performance of this lens , tracking more specifically and even more specifically in-bound & out-bound vector tracking is inadequate, and with a TC on becomes completely useless in those regards. So much, that my old trusty 120-400 have kept doing all the action photography work during all this time i own the 120-300 instead of replacing it ...

Its great for Birding (from which fellow birders it seems i got all the praising and encouragement prior purchasing it) but a whole different story regarding motorsports / aviation ... It can yield optically pretty impressive stuff even with the 2x TC on but only at more or less static targets in AF-S mode.

Unfortunately where i live the market for such ...exotic equipment is non existent hence the lack of option to rent or try equipment before purchasing ... (huge bummer)

So now i am exploring the possibility of Nikon 200-400 f/4 + TC-14E actually doing the work for me or will i end up even with this savings rip-off investment with no better results than my old trusty 120-400 OS HSM ....

My main body currently is D7100.
(considering to add a D3300 as backup later and even later an FX addition in the form of D610)

Are there chances that with the 200-400 + TC-14E i might have similar amount of keepers as with the 120-300 (with or without tc, no big difference in tracking performance here) or 200-400 will fully justify the price difference ? I am especially concerned and interested in fast in-bound / out-bound movement tracking ...

Thanks
Nick D.

-- hide signature --

Nick
www.flickr.com/nickdelhanidis/sets
monographix.deviantart.com/gallery

monographix's gear list:monographix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +5 more
Nikon D3300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow