Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: D4s still lacks wifi and gps!!!
In reply to LD_50, 9 months ago

LD_50 wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

RicAllan wrote:

golf1982 wrote:

Still lacks wifi and gps. Basic and features found on years old hundred quid compacts!!!! It concerns me how nikon Just doesn't get it. please can someone tell nikon it is no longer 2005

If you want a P&S hundred quid camera... buy one. If you want a swiss army knife, buy one... Many others have tried to make the point regarding the downside (and sometimes difficulty) with certain features low volume cameras so I'll stop there.

i hve not seen a single downside to intigrated wifi or gps. Both are really usefull features that should have been included years ago. the cost of inclusion would be negligable, unless of course you account for the lost money from sales of the massively overpriced Nikon wifi dongle!!

Downside:

1) Two way connection means there's a way in, read TO HACK, the camera

2) As technology creeps along (right, creeps), today's standard soon becomes obsolete. If you buy cameras on the gee whiz factor, this may not be a big drawback but if you but it as a tool...

3) As someone else has already mentioned, if the wi-fi or gps malfunctions, you lose the whole camera during its repair

4) It adds cost some of us DO NOT WANT for features we will not use

5) It adds weight (a little bit here, a little bit there... adds up)

6) It adds size

7) It adds complexity impacting overall reliability

8) It does NOTHING for picture quality

Do you want me to go on....

Ric

-- hide signature --

Ric

1) Shut it off. This is no different than the dongle. Is be far more worried about my phone or computer than my camera.

Competitive pressure would take care of the size and weight concerns. There is plenty of opportunity to miniaturize components to make up for any added size or weight. Nikon would spend the R&D money to make this happen if they felt it was demanded by customers or if perhaps Canon adds it first to the 1Dx successor. Leica added GPS to the S body and there is no added size or weight or any drawback whatsoever.

As far as reliability concerns go, if you have a wifi or GPS failure, you wouldn't have to lose the camera to service unless you require those features. It sounds like you don't so why be concerned about their presence?

The cost of adding wifi or GPS would be negligible and would only require a price increase if Nikon wants to maintain equal margins. The D4s cost me more than the D4 did even without these features. Competition could take care of price concerns but probably won't since Nikon and Canon seem so conservative with updates and don't need a price war at this level of camera.

The standards argument is probably the weakest given that wifi chips remain backwards compatible and these cameras are refreshed like clockwork every several years. This reminds me of people complaining about new memory card standards. At this level of camera with so much effort put into speed and processing I can't imagine putting in my ten year old CF cards to bottleneck the whole thing.

+1

Size, weight and cost concerns have already been taken care of due to the inclusion of wi-fi and GPS in millions and millions of smartphones. Good rear LCDs / OLEDs are now much cheaper for the same reason.

If camera manufacturers had to develop these things themselves, then the cost would have been high - but in this case all the hard work and major costs of development have been done for them.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow