Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phrenzy
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
Not quite SLR question...
6 months ago

This is not really an Olympus SLR thread but it's for a good cause and I know everyone here knows what they're taking about so please indulge me:
My girlfriend and I are in the early planning stages of a trip through the centre of Australia (which I'm eagerly waiting to photograph :). She's studying Australian and indigenous history and so we were planning on visiting some rather remote aboriginal settlements that some of her former classmates are working in which I also thought would be great photographic opportunities... Anyhow, knowing a little about what is like to grow up in a quiet country town (though nothing this remote) I'm pretty sure the kids will be quite interested, particularly at the school we are visiting and I thought rather than just taking photos I could get the kids taking some photos too.

My plan is basically to get some second hand half decent point and shoots for the kids that I can show them how to use / teach them a little about photography with and then leave at the school or community centre when we leave. I'm quite curious to see what they will be interested in and photograph and the idea is that some of the photos will make it back to my girlfriends uni for all the interested students to get a bit of an idea about what life is like for the kids up north in as well as just being a nice idea for the kids themselves.

So my question is what relatively cheap cameras would be best for this?

So far I've decided that tough cameras are the go since they will be living somewhere hot, very dusty and in the care of school kids. Also with standard ports and memory cards, so mini usb for recharge and data and SD or micro SD cards. Also ideally I would get several identical or nearly identical cameras so the kids and teacher only have to learn one set of menus and controls.

I'm thinking the Olympus tough series cameras would fit the bill but I would love some input from everyone on what might work better, other possible requirements or any tips or hints they can think of.

The reason I'm thinking second hand is simply so I can get a few more (plus they would be hard to return for warranty 1000kms from the nearest camera shop) but if there's a reason to buy new then that's fine too. There's several months to go so plenty of time to eBay yet but at the moment I'm not quite sure what I'm after.

phrenzy's gear list:phrenzy's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-520 +13 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow