Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dogglet
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?
My continuing efforts at improving IQ on the FZ70
8 months ago

I still believe the FZ70 can produce reasonably fine tele images especially seeing the results from Vickie, Rodger, Dan, et al. So I went out into the field yesterday to test it out on a pretty obliging subject of the Blue-Tailed Bee Eater. He was about 20 feet away from me, and these are the results :

All pics were JPGs taken at 16MP, ISO 100, handheld, within 1 minute of each other. Only real diff was the 1st pic had - 2/3 EV, resulting in a 1 stop increase in shutter speed over the other 2. First 2 pics were cropped and resized downwards to approximate the dimensions of the last one.

Settings were all NR-2, SH+2, all e- and i- settings OFF

At 79mm (442mm EQ), 1/800 due to -EV. Brightened back a bit in PP to compensate for darker image.It could be for this reason that at 100%, it looks a lot noisier than the other 2 which were quite clean at 100%

At 145mm (811mm EQ)

This pic above seems to be of the highest quality of the lot in terms of sharpness, details and low noise.

At 215mm (1200mm EQ) - This one still seems the softest of the lot, albeit at low noise .. Camera shake? Does not appear so, since there're no camera shake artifacts .. Wrong point of focus? Possible, but why? Same position, same subject, same conditions, except for focal length.

At this magnification, there's not much to go on by, but at 100% Loupe, it's quite obvious the 1200mm image loses in terms of sharpness

And I shot this other critter just for good measure at 215mm too :

Focus here is way out .. even though I was using the smallest focus frame on AFS, set on the eye. The colors should have lots of contrast against the background.

The strangest thing is, through the EVF, all shots are deemed in focus by the beeps, but I notice the camera wrongly beeps at times, so I refocus (half-press) until the image appears correctly focused, and fire. This is even at 215mm. EVF image appears pin-sharp, but on the laptop, quality's really bad.

Any ideas?

Dogglet's gear list:Dogglet's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Canon Pixma Pro-100 Gimp +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow