jfriend00
Forum ProPosts: 11,116
Like?
Re: Nikon Should launch great Camera(FF Small Body) before Fuji launch FF
In reply to shaunly, 7 months ago

shaunly wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

Nexu1 wrote:

IMO Fuji made a potentially fatal mistake by going at APS-C alone. One of the reasons Olympus & Panasonic have been able to survive with MFT is that they essentially went into it together. Fuji is alone. With hardly any lenses. And poor sales. And running in the red (last I checked). Mirrorless in general has stopped growing and is regressing faster than DSLR's are regressing: http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/02/06/cipa-2013-report-shows-first-time-decline-in-interchangeable-lens-camera-sa

That's your opinion. I rather like Fuji's lens lineup. For the majority of the population, Fuji has a pretty good set of lenses and the XF lenses are particularly good quality. In fact, Fuji has more lenses optimized for the AFS-C sensor size than Nikon does and I find the XF 18-55 to be substantially better IQ than my Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 and a ton smaller. Here's the Fuji lineup as of this moment:

• Zeiss 12 f/1.8
  • Zeiss 32 f/1.8
  • Fuji XF 14 f/2.8
  • Fuji XF 18 f/2
  • Fuji XF 23 f/1.4
  • Fuji XF 27 f/2.8 (pancake)
  • Fuji XF 56 f/1.2
  • Fuji XF 60 f/2.4 (macro)
  • Fuji XF 10-24 f/4
  • Fuji XF 18-55 f/2.8-4
  • Fuji XF 55-200 f/3.5-4.8
  • Fuji XC 16-50 f/3.5-5.6
  • Fuji XC 50-230 f/4.5-6.7

On the published roadmap for later this year is another fast wide angle prime, a 50-140 f/2.8, 16-55 f/2.8 and 18-135.

The major omission is obviously long glass (300mm, 400mm, 600m). So, aside from the long primes, this is a pretty nice set of lenses to select from and pretty much all created in the last 2 years. That's one cranking development and manufacturing team.

What would say are the major missing lenses in the Fuji lineup that are preventing lots of people from buying Fuji?

I must say I totally agree here. Fuji is doing really well for themselves and making all the right decisions. I just saw some product sample of the 56/1.2 and it looks amazing to say the least. I've been really on the fence about the Fuji Xt-1 + a couple primes or Nikon DF with all my current lens.

The pace of development at Fuji appears (from the outside) to be about 5x faster than Nikon in terms of quality lenses and bodies produced per unit of time and they are innovating as they go in a number of directions and they are producing really high quality stuff.  I have no idea how big the engineering teams are, but I'd guess that Nikon has a much bigger R&D budget than Fuji does for cameras since Nikon's camera sales are so much higher than Fuji's, yet Fuji appears to be running circles around them right now.  Now mirrorless as a technology is not yet ready to replace dSLRs for all possible uses, but at the rate things are moving, it certainly could happen in a small number of years.

I'd be surprised if Fuji isn't starting to cut into both Nikon and Canon's lower end and enthusiast dSLR sales.  The questions in my mind are whether Fuji can keep up this pace of development, new products and innovation and whether Nikon responds by doing anything other than an interative D3400 and a D5400 dSLR?  If Fuji keeps the accelerator floored as it is now, they are really going places.  The AF advances they've made in just the last year are stunning.  Not yet equivalent to high-end dSLR AF, but perhaps has surpassed lower and middle end dSLR.  That improvement train at Fuji is moving really quickly.

It's amazing to me how many people I've seen deciding between a Nikon FX dSLR (usually D600 or Df) and a Fuji XT-1.  I guess that's how good the IQ is with the XT-1 and how attractive it seems.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow