Flat view
lpammann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,141Gear list
Like?
making the call on the 1.4x AW TC
6 months ago

I posted my first set of shot of the new Pentax/Ricoh 1.4x TC here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53264005;

Today i had a chance to shoot in good light. My call: this TC is a winner. You can make your own call. Here are shots taken in good light with my K3+1.4x+DA*300 hand-held. The Kestrel was high atop a palm tree. I couldn't tell what it was until I looked in the viewfinder. To get some idea of high high he was, these shots were cropped to 1120x1400, then down-sized for the web to 720x900. What would have been a very small target with just the DA*300 became a manageable AF target with this combo due to the K3's smaller AF spot and the increased magnification with the 1.4x.

The other shots that nailed my call were these Sandhill Cranes feeding on a golf course. These shots were taken a little before sunset during "magic hour". Very little cropping with these and so they could be printed very large. I suppose if all one does is produce images for the web, then these could have been taken without the TC, but with the TC there are more options for cropping in addition to larger sized prints. One thing that jumped out at me with I first started shooting with the K3 was seeing a magical quality that I can't really describe in words, but I know it when I see it, and I saw it immediately with the K3. Those of you with the K5IIs and the K3 know what I'm talking about. Well, the K3+1.4x+DA*300 has that magic also. You can be the judge with these shots of the Sandies.

100% crop:

Hey Sandie, replace your divot!

Maybe if I walk away quietly no one will notice:

I have more of this pair, but I'll post others later. EXIF is intact.

LPA

lpammann's gear list:lpammann's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +1 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow