Is great lens on an A7 enough - or do you need an A7r?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,014Gear list
Like?
Is great lens on an A7 enough - or do you need an A7r?
8 months ago

I've been pretty busy over the past 3 weeks since I got my A7, and haven't had a chance to test it and my M mounts on it in "real world" shooting. This weekend, I did get a chance - and one image persuaded me that I wasn't wrong in thinking that an A7 would be enough for me/

Full frame

This was shot with a 33 year old pre-aspheric 35mm f1.4 Summilux, f2.8, hand held.

I now know what the A7 can do with my weakest prime. Maybe you need more raw resolving power, but this tells me that the A7 is enough for me.

PS: note how shallow the DOF is - his near eye is in focus, his mouth and mustache  are already beginning to go out of focus. Worth remembering when one wishes for faster lenses...and this is a 35mm on FF, at at a distance of about 3-4 feet from the subject, focused on the near eye.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow