Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,440Gear list
Like?
Light Leak through focus assist lamp port
8 months ago

I really hesitate to bring this up due to the controversial nature of the previously reported light leaks through the remote/hdmi ports.    I ignored most of them since I don't use them really at all in a shooting situation, although I understand how some may be perturbed.   Regardless, it sounds like Fuji is fixing quickly.

Today, for grins, I decided to see if mine was affected.  I shone my super-bright LED flashlight on the ports and, bam, very bright light leak, but absolutely none when the door was closed...cool.

As I was about to turn the camera off, the way I was holding the camera/light, I noticed a different light leak (this was with the door closed).   Turns out, if I shine the light at an angle into the focus assist lamp, a blueish leak can be clearly seen on the right and a small blob on the lower-left.  Below is an untouched OOC jpg from the camera.  It was 1/4s, at ISO 6400.  I verified it was leaking through the lamp by covering it with my finger...the leak disappeared.

Again, the first thing I do when setting up the camera is turn that stupid lamp off....it's worthless anyway.  I'll probably tape if off to prevent the issue completely.   Not worth returning to Fuji IMO for me.

I guess I post this as a caution to those who use a lot of ND filters for very long exposures.   Since the port is in the front of the camera, you could get into situations, if the sun if off to the right, this could affect your image.  No doors to close to prevent this one.    No idea if it effects all cameras or just mine.   Tried it with several flashlights and I couldn't really see it much with a more normal, dimmer one, but with a few medium ones it was there.

I must emphasize this is one of those super bright Cree LED flashlights, but if you can see it in 1/4s shot, the odds of seeing it in a 30s shot with a much dimmer light source is certainly there.

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RickNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow