Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HuntingSand
Senior MemberPosts: 2,485
Like?
Fifth day with the X-Vario (addendum)
7 months ago

I somehow feel compelled to extoll the virtues of the X-Vario's color rendition. Although the samples posted below are a tad on the strong side, the underhanded and well controlled color signature of the XV reminds me very much of the Fuji S5 Pro. This means that the camera actually can be used (carefully) for art-related repro work. Another positive aspect of the XV are the JPGs. I think these are the first Leica-generic JPGs which are actually useable right out of the box. The X2's never were (in my opinion). On a thumbs-down note, as the other cameras in the X-line, the XV doesn't "do" any alternative aspect ratios, which I personally would find very handy. The D-Lux 4/5/6 all have switches on the lens for 16:9, 4/3 and even 1:1, and it would've been great to see something similar either menu-driven or hard-wired with the XV.
Anyway, here are some color samples, just to underscore my first point:

Somewhere on 9th ave

Golden boots

Red and blue (red seems fine on the XV!)

Miniature close-up (just 4 inches high, this artwork)

Tricky lighting, handled quite well by the XV

Intertwining spaces

That's all I have for today. Thanks for the interest.
Thomas

-- hide signature --

Photographic collections at http://hahn.zenfolio.com

Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Leica D-LUX 4 Leica X2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow