Which lens was your biggest disappointment?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JoelTheGeek
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Which lens was your biggest disappointment?
8 months ago

While we probably are thrilled with most of our lens acquisitions, there's always some that are let-downs. I'm curious what is your biggest disappointment? By that, I mean a lens that was functioning properly (i.e. not a bad copy or incompatibility)

For me it was the Sigma 20mm 1.8. I saw it on eBay for a song & a dance on an AS-IS sale. The lens was untested, and clearly had suffered front-end damage (filter mount snapped, but glass fine). When I received the lens, I couldn't believe how soft it was until significantly stopped down. I figured the lens had worse damage than the filter threads. Then I read reviews, and learned this was just how the lens is.

I got the lens repaired (namely to boost its resale) and they tested the calibration. The lens was deemed to be working fine. That confirmed that this is just not a sharp lens. Had I spent the $850 new price (CAD) on it - I'd really have been let down.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow