Monitor suggestion?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,308
Like?
Re: Monitor suggestion?
In reply to Marni, 6 months ago

Marni wrote:

I am shopping for a new monitor. I am NOT a professional, I do retouch my own photos, I have 50 years worth of old pix that I am restoring. My Viewsonic VP930b is not corresponding with my printer profiles that were made, the prints are coming out very dark

I have:

Calibrated the monitor using the Spyder Pro 3

Used Spyder Print to do a printer profile.

The result: The colors are very good and match however, the monitor is showing a beautiful bright picture in Photoshop, but the prints are very dark. I am wondering if my monitor is going bad? I am working with Data Color right now to solve this issue.

I need a suggestion for a monitor that will be a good choice but under $300.00. I can't justify spending more than that for home use.

Thanks

Below you will se some very good suggestions for two other very experienced members.

Your problem is your monitor is TOO bright. A monitor is displaying a back lit image which is naturally going to be perceived as much brighter than the print which is viewed by frontal reflected light and will ALWAYS appear darker. The apparent Brightness of a print will also be affected by the intensity of the viewing light.

In dim room light it will always appear darker than by the black lit or transmitted light of a monitor.

SO you need to lower your monitor brightness depending on your editing room's ambient light level.

If your room is relatively bright you can set it to 120 cd/m2. Higher if the room is very bright. In my dark editing environment I use 80 cd/m2

During your monitor calibration you would choose the luminosity level that will ultimately be correct.

Assuming your are editing on a too bright monitor, you would then be moved to darken your images to what appears to be correct. They will then obviously print dark.

That is what is happening to you.

CAPPED FOR ENPHASIS!

I SURELY HOPE YOU DID NOT SAVE YOUR EDITIED IMAGES ( EDITIED IN YOUR TOO BIGHT MONITOR 0 BACK ONTO THEMSELVES!!!! If  you did they are permanently ruined.

Of course that all assumes that if you are using printer ICC profiles you are also turning off ALL color management within the printer's Driver!!!! Only allowing the editing application to control or map all colors, hues and densities through the ICC profile for the paper you have chosen to print on.

I have a link to my video channel listed below. You might want to take a look a some of my videos which should clarify all of this for you.

Specially the Color Management three part video.

Joe

-- hide signature --

MY VIDEO CHANNEL. PRINTING and personal videos.
https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow