Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,348
Like?
D3s vs D600 for sports
4 months ago

I bought the D600 for sports because it has a high ISO and 24mp sensor. My plan was to use it in situations where the D3s was not necessary, therefore, reducing the wear and tear of the D3s. I have used it outdoor, outdoor on a sunny day and under poorly lighted HS stadiums for soccer, baseball, and softball with the 400mm f2.8 lens For indoor, I have used it for basketball, volleyball, swimming, and water polo with the 70-200mm lens. In the end, after two months of evaluation, I have concluded that its best usage for it is with the walk around 24-85mm lens. You can get away with using the D600 for lower level players where the speed of action is not as demanding as in high school. The D3s is still the king for sports photography. I like to hear from others who shoot with the D600 as well. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:

Inexpensive

24mp sensor vs 12mp in D3s

Onboard flash.

Quiet shutter

Cons:

39 focus points not 51.

4-5 burst/sec

More noise at ISO 6400.

Shutter release lags missing critical action shots

Slow, slow slow AF-C. (I have better results by setting AF-C to release, AF-S to release, focus tracking with lock-on to off, shooting at AF-S not AF-C, and pulsing the shutter auto focus constantly so that when I release the shutter, there is no delay in focus, just the shutter release delay.)

Not pro quality body.

Nikon D3S Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow